COMMITMENT: AN AGENT OF RESOURCEFULNESS
CHRIST APOSTOLIC MISSION CHURCH
2019 NATIONAL SUNDAY SCHOOL TEACHERS CONFERENCE
THEME:- PERSONAL COMMITMENT: BASIS OF CHURCH GROWTH
TOPIC:- COMMITMENT: AN AGENT OF RESOURCEFULNESS
Lady Evangelist Florence Yemisi Adewumi (DGS)
TEXTS:-NEH. 1:1-5; 2:1-7, 14-20; 5:1-19.
INTRODUCTION:- The word commitment invokes a strong feeling of intent and focus and is always accompanied by a statement of purpose or a determined plan of action it is an act, and not a word.
In this lecture: I will like to talk about the meaning of commitment, resourcefulness and the significance of commitment.
WHAT IS COMMITMENT: Commitment means promise or firm decision to do something.
Loyalty:- That is when you are willing to give your time and energy to something that you believe in the state or quality of being dedicated to a cause, activity etc.
Making a commitment involves dedicating yourself to something.
Before you make a commitment think carefully.
RESOURCEFULNESS:– They are good at finding ways to solve problems.
Resource fullness is using our proper judgment and common sense to solve problems and meet challenges.
THE SIGNIFICANCE OF COMMITMENT
1. Commitment is not merely a promise that makes to do something it entails dedication, ability to work hard and bear infinity fortitude.
2. Commitment invokes a strong feeling of intent and focus. it is always accompanied by a statement of purpose or a determined plan action.
3. Another significance of commitment is staying true to yourself, obstacles will naturally arise that will try to impede the path towards your life goals, being true to yourself means facing all such obstacles and continuing on your path even in the face of adversity, you must continue to be guided by your valves, ethics, and convictions. This happened in the life of Nehemiah in building the gates of Jerusalem, Sanballat and Tobias stood as obstacles for him, but he overcame them Neh. 4:1-6.
4. Being committed requires that you are ready to tread the long path to success and it let go to the temptation of taking an easy route or shortcuts. Talking the long and right path to success invariably involves hard work. However one must remember that the harder one works the more benefits he earns. One must keep in mind that with passion, commitment, and hard work, you will have success. Nehemiah did not take a shortcut, he went directly to the king’s heart and the king gave him permission to go and gave him a letter to the governors to allow him to pass. Nehemiah 2:1 7.
5. Another important significance of commitment is determined commitment, which precedes success. When you make a commitment, you have to pledge to achieve a certain outcome or a result. 1Cor. 11:23. Nehemiah determined to build the gates and God help him. Neh. 4:6.
6, Finally, it is commitment that transforms the vision of success into actual success, commitment stands first on the list of valves and priorities of successful people, being committed requires that a person is fully engaged in his endeavors and remains conscious and persistent enough to realize his/her goals in life.
We see Nehemiah’s commitment to the work of God in two ways.
(i), He committed himself in building the gates of Jerusalem Neh. 1, 2, 4.
(ii), In chapter 5, we saw his commitment to humanity when he heard the great cry of the people about the economic injustice among the Jewish people he was angry
Nehemiah’s anger at injustice and evil was a godly anger from a righteous heart. Anyone who does not have a sense of courage over extreme injustice or mistreatment of helpless or innocent people probably cannot identify with or feel compassion for the suffering of the people, because his great respect for God and his commitment he did not use his authority to take advantages of the people some other leaders before him had don’t rather he helped them and he saved them.
(i), Nehemiah was a good example of the people that are good in finding solutions to situations.
(ii), Dorcas Acts 9:36-40.
(iii) Jesus Christ Himself.
As a Sunday school teachers as a worker in His vineyard what is your commitment to God’s work, are you the type that is always finding fault in your fellows? Are you the type that is finding solution to the problems? Or you are found of creating problems or adding problems.